In some states the minimum sentence for Sex Offenders is only 60 days...Are you serious? These people are destroying the lives of the women and children and in rare cases men they are violating. This is absolutely unacceptable and there needs to be a much harsher punishment.
Child Molestation and rape are the most unreported crimes there are with a horribly low rate of 1% to 10% being reported. Only 10% really? Keep that in mind as you read the rest of these numbers. There are more than 617,000 registered sex offenders in the US. Only 10% of sex offenders receive life or death sentences which leaves the other 90% getting an average of 11 years in prison. Of the sex offenders that do get out of prison 78% of them re offend and come right back to prison within the first 2 years of being out. What can we conclude from all these numbers? It's simple algebra:
X=Actual Sex offenses/offenders
only 10% reported(high end)
.1(X)=617,000 X = 6,170,000 Actual Sex offenders
78% re offend
.78 x 617,000= 481,260 Commit the same crime they were imprisoned for.
These numbers are appalling and there is absolutely no excuse for them to be this way. Any sex crime should be life in prison minimum with no exceptions! There needs to be more awareness throughout communities when it comes to sexual abuse on children. The average sex offender gets out of prison after 11 years and will re offend! The Judges that hand out the terribly low end sentences should be held accountable as accomplices when these disgusting animals get out only to commit the same crime! As a Corrections Officer I was able to read the files on these inmates and I was horrified at the things these men said in there defense! The most common response I read was "She wanted it", and it was used referring to children from the age of 4 all the way to adult women. A 4 year old wanted to be raped? Somebody should have just shot him there and then and ended the disease of a human being that he was. I personally believe that we should extend the Death Penalty to Rape, Pedophiles, and any crimes against children. These people do not deserve to breath the air that you and I share everyday. As I am already aware a lot of people who like my blog may not support Capital Punishment but this is one subject that I feel very strongly about and think needs to be made known.